El Guapos Cantina- Amazing margaritas, mediocre food

My family decided to go to El Guapos because my mom and I were craving margaritas. El Guapos is a downtown favorite. It has a very popular rooftop bar that is open during nice weather. El Guapos has phenomenal margaritas and atmosphere but the service and food falls flat.

Food-
The Stringy Lettuce in the Guacamole. That small dish was $6.
Our group started out with guacamole. We were very disappointed in the size. It looked like a side of guac. Not only that but at least a fourth of that size was lettuce. The lettuce added a good crunch but it was basically a bunch of stringy lettuce being used as filler. The guacamole itself was really really tasty but it was not worth the price at all for the small amount of actual guac we got. The chips and salsa were pretty good. There was nothing special about them but I sure did eat quite a bit of them.


My tasty strawberry margarita.
We also ordered both strawberry margaritas on the rocks and normal margaritas on the rocks. They both were absolutely amazing. I got the strawberry which is a little more sweet but it is a perfect blend of lime, strawberry and tequila. I tried the normal one and it was everything that a classic margarita should be.

I've actually been to El Guapos a couple of times and I for the life of me can never find something that I really like. I decided to order something a little different and got the Torta with jalapeno slaw which is essentially a sandwich with slightly spicy cole slaw. The sandwich had avocado, lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese, red chili aioli and a choice of meats. I got the steak. It was tasty but there was no aioli and the steak was super salty. The bun was toasted and buttery. The slaw was pretty normal. It didn't have any jalapeno flavor but it was a little spicy. It was overall not bad but it made me want to drink a lot of water!

My sandwich and slaw

 My sister ordered the Guapo rice bowl which has rice, pico de gallo, guacamole, onions, cilantro, mexican crema (essentially sour cream) and cheese. She ordered his with chicken. It was also a little salty and the rice was overcooked which made the consistency like mush. It was not a bad flavor combination and I overall enjoyed the bites I stole from her.

Service-
The service at El Guapos is not good. The waitress was not friendly, not helpful and couldn't even keep my glass of water filled which was bad because everything I ate had too much salt. I honestly have nothing positive to say about our waitress.

Atmosphere-
The atmosphere at El Guapos is really fun. The rooftop bar is a definite treat.

El Guapos is definitely a good place to go drink with friends while munching on chips. The margaritas are awesome but I don't  recommend the food. I'm still trying to find something that is better than OK here. None of the meals that I have tasted really wow me. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Napa Flats- Bad Service, Bad Food

I created another website!

Easy, Delicious Black-eyed Pea Soup