Napa Flats- Bad Service, Bad Food

My mother went to Napa Flats a while ago and absolutely loved it. She told me that I had to go and my family happily obliged. My sister eats gluten-free and Napa Flats has an extensive gluten-free menu, so, she was especially excited. Unfortunately, the experience did not live up to my mom's hype. The service was bad (at one point she rolled her eyes at us) and the food was not impressive at all. The waitress even served us our appetizer and she gave us normal bread but told us it was gluten-free! My poor sister got pretty sick because of that.

Food-
First, we ordered the Palo Alto Dip with gluten-free bread. The dip is a tart and creamy dip with sun dried tomatoes, artichokes and green onions blended with ricotta and cream cheese.

Palo Alto Dip with the not gluten-free bread
 We made sure to double check with the waitress that this was the gluten-free one and she said it was, so, we began feasting. The dip came out super hot, creamy and delicious. A super good start to the meal. I highly recommend this appetizer from this restaurant. Then, the waitress came out with her manager apologizing profusely. She gave us the wrong bread. DUN DUN DUNNN. She brought the actual gluten-free bread but it was too late. My poor sister was definitely going to get sick from this.

This makes me really angry because when people with a food allergy or intolerance go to a restaurant, they are putting their health in their hands. This kind of mistake is completely unacceptable. Period.

 Then, we got our meals. The restaurant can make any pasta and flatbread as gluten-free. So, my sister and I ordered the Napa Primavera.



  

 The one on the left is the gluten-free one and the one on the right is the normal pasta. Normally, this dish comes with spaghetti but because the gluten-free pasta is a spaghetti, I ordered it with penne so that they wouldn't mix it up again. This dish has asparagus, mushrooms, peas, broccoli, sun-dried tomatoes, parmesan, pine nuts and basil with a tomato garlic cream sauce. It sounded super tasty but the flavors did not combine well. It wound up tasting pretty bad. My sister did say that the gluten-free pasta itself was good.

My other sister ordered the Poblano Mac and Cheese which has a poblano cheese sauce and it covered with bread crumbs. I tried it and it was incredibly disappointing. It was not cheesy at all and it had no poblano flavor. It tasted like pasta with bland cream and some bread crumbs. It was not at all what a mac and cheese should be.  She also ordered a margarita on the rocks and that was seriously an amazing and fresh margarita.


My dad ordered the Pork Tenderloin Milanese. It is a breaded pan fried pork with a salad on top. The salad had tomatoes, red onion and mozzarella. I tried this as well. The pork was dry and not well seasoned. The salad, as shown above, is on top of the pork which did not really make sense to me. It could have just been put to the side of the pork and the result would have been the same. The salad was not bad but it was nothing special. The dressing did add a little moisture to the pork but not enough to help. My dad and I agreed- it was disappointing.

Decor-
The restaurant is very nice looking. It had wood accents and was very comfortable. Unfortunately, the floor is granite and so the place does not absorb sounds very well. Plus, the music was too loud. I am not hard of hearing at all but I couldn't hear the people at the end of my table as well as the waitress.

Service-
Like I mentioned above, the waitress was bad. She was rude. The restaurant was loud, the music was loud, my dad is hard of hearing and the waitress was quietly mumbling everything that she said. I could not even hear her and I cannot even imagine how my poor dad felt. So, when we couldn't hear her or asked her to say something again, she would roll her eyes or acted with an attitude. Then, she brought out the wrong bread and got my sister ill. After that large screw up, she was on her best behavior. She said that she was new but that does not make up for the attitude. Plus, that is not an excuse for bringing out the wrong bread. She could have asked anyone in the kitchen and they would have told her. The manager that came out to apologize was professional and very nice. The service itself was quick but the attitude was unnecessary.

I honestly would not give this restaurant another change. The two highlights flavor wise were the appetizer and my sister's drink. None of the meals were good and the service was awful. So, if I was forced to come here again, I'd eat the appetizer and drink a margarita. I wouldn't have anything else.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cinnamon Apple Fritter Recipe

I created another website!