The Vault- great drinks, fun atmosphere, spotty food

A group of friends and I decided to go the The Vault which is a really neat downtown restaurant that has a modern spin on 70's decor. The Vault is really interesting on the inside in a good way. I love how it's called the Vault because it's location use to be a bank. So, we get there and are seated quickly. Normally, I would recommend making reservations because it is a smaller restaurant and can fill up quickly.

I've found that the Vault has some tasty and interesting twists on drinks, so, I always get a drink when I'm here. I ordered Gin Tonica which is a gin and tonic with grapefruit, black pepper and star anise. One of my friends ordered a normal gin and tonic and another ordered a mai tai.
Gin Tonica (left) and the Mai Tai (right)
We got the drinks quickly. Man, mine was soooo good. It was like a traditional gin and tonic with more floral notes. I would drink this drink all day. My friend's mai tai came out in the best cup ever! I didn't try it but props for the cup!


I then ordered Chicken and Waffles which is fried chicken and cheddar buttermilk waffle sandwich with bacon, lettuce, avocado, tomato and a maple-dijon glaze and I got to try my friend's grilled cheese which is a traditional grilled cheese with the additions of red onion, green apple and basil.

My chicken and waffle sandwich

The flavor of the waffle itself was pretty good but the chicken was under-seasoned and the maple dijon glaze made the bottom waffle and bottom breading super soggy. The fries were mushy in a bad way. I liked the vegetables in it but ultimately I would not order this again.

My friend's grilled cheese (she didn't let me try the soup)
My friend's grilled cheese, however, was one of the best grilled cheeses I've ever had (and I've had a lot). The apple and onion added a nice twang but they did not overwhelm the sharp creamy cheeses that they used. She didn't let me try the soup but she did mention that it was a little on the salty side.

Although the grilled cheese was awesome, I don't know if I'd come back here for the food. The sandwich just wasn't special enough to get me to come back. The Vault's decor and premise is so neat that I just really wanted my chicken and waffles to live up to it. The service was great, very prompt and friendly. I would go here as a fun date place or with friends to get drinks. They also have a nice outdoor area for when the weather warms up that I would definitely utilize.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Napa Flats- Bad Service, Bad Food

I created another website!

Easy, Delicious Black-eyed Pea Soup