Biga- Good, romantic but nothing exceptional

So, my parents and I all decided to go to a nice dinner to celebrate the fact that I passed my Fundamentals of Engineering test (it's basically the test that certifies engineers). So, we decided to go to an Italian restaurant that my sister highly recommends, Biga. I apologize that the pictures are a little on the dark side; the restaurant has a darker mood lighting.

Overall, Biga is a very nice restaurant to go to. It has a lovely atmosphere and good food. It doesn't have the best food in the world but it is tasty. I would come here again.

Parking- They have a nice parking lot right in front of the restaurant.
Gluten free- Nothing specifically designated gluten free. I'd call ahead.
Food allergies- I personally did not have any issues here.

Food-
The waiter told me an interesting tidbit of information: Biga makes most of their pasta fresh every day. The only exception is the penne. Apparently it is a big penne to make (har har).

Biga serves bread to every table. The bread was a mild sourdough and the butter served was deliciously creamy. I had heard that they serve olives before the meal. I was disappointed when they were not served. I guess that they stopped serving the olives.

The Meatballs
Anyways, I started with their meatballs and my parents split a house salad. The meatballs were subtle and delicious. The sauce was a bit on the tart side but it went with the meat ball pretty well. I sneaked a bite of my dad's house salad and it was delicious. The balsamic vinaigrette dressing made it really special. It was perfectly tart and sweet.

The Pasta Biga
I ordered the Pasta Biga which is a penne pasta with pork and mushrooms in a cream sauce. The pork was delicious and the mushrooms were tasty. Overall though, the dish was tasty but a little one dimensional.

Luke's Chicken
 The chicken breast that was stuffed with goat cheese, cherries and almonds served over cooked spinach. The chicken was coated in bread crumbs and was very well cooked. The stuffing was amazingly creamy and tart with the cherries. The spinach went well with the chicken but was nothing exceptional.
The Ragu

My dad ordered the Pappardelle with Ragu Bolognese. It is essentially a meat sauce with a lot of veggies. It was rich and fresh tasting but it didn't have any pop. 

My mom ordered the veal ravioli with a sun dried tomato sauce. Holy Moly. This was incredibly rich but it was soo good. The sundried tomatoes were acidic but the creamy sauce was a good counterbalance and the veal added a nice meatiness. I would definitely order this again. 

The Zabaglione
For dessert we ordered the Lemon Zabaglione which is essentially a creamy semi frozen lemon custard. It came with a strawberry sauce and a bunch of cut up strawberries. It was tart and refreshing. The strawberries gave the dish a perfect sweetness that complimented the acidic lemons. 

Service-
The waiter was friendly and helpful but was not overbearing. Very good service.

Decor-
Biga is an incredibly romantic restaurant. They have lovely twinkle lights that surround bottles and the atmosphere is dark (but not too dark) and nice. This is a perfect restaurant to take a date!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Napa Flats- Bad Service, Bad Food

I created another website!

Easy, Delicious Black-eyed Pea Soup